Saturday, January 29, 2011

Beef Tenderloin

I got some of the BEST beef I have ever had in my life. The credit goes to a slaughter company here in UT called Dale T Smiths & Son's. I was introduced by Utah Diva Deal. When you go to their office they have FRESH, literally like cut and prepared to YOUR liking. I decided to try it 2 weeks ago and bought 10lbs of hamburger 93% lean, I've never had beef taste so good!! While I was there I saw that they had tenderloin. I've never cooked it nor thing I've tried it, maybe I have and don't remember but besides the point :P I got a 2.05 lbs one, I waited in the office while the got my hamburger. I walked out of there spending about $30 for the hamburger & the tenderloin, which is really not a bad deal considering that we still have about 6 lbs of hamburger left & I'm cooking the tenderloin tomorrow. So in reality a months worth of beef for $30 that equates to $1.00 per day of meat :) and we have chicken from Costco. The company only does beef to bad :P but the only thing you smell when you go there is the poop and the office doesn't stink like I thought it would smell. Like guts and stuff thankfully.

So here's the recipe I'll be using tomorrow I'll post up pictures when I start cooking it so you can see the before and after product :) I will say though this is the reddest and freshest beef you can find with out killing the cow yourself :) they sell whole cow obviously cut the way you want it ect or you can buy 1/2 cow or just what ever you need/want. I'm hoping I can go in on 1/2 cow with some people in the ward.

Ingredients

1 whole (4 To 5 Lbs.) Beef Tenderloin (butt)
4 Tablespoons Salted Butter, or more to taste
⅓ cups Whole Peppercorns, More Or Less To Taste
Lawry's Seasoned Salt (Or Your Favorite Salt Blend)
Lemon Pepper Seasoning
Olive Oil

Preparation Instructions

Preheat oven to 475 degrees.

Rinse meat well. Trim away some of the fat to remove the silvery cartilage underneath. With a very sharp knife, begin taking the fat off the top, revealing the silver cartilage underneath. You definitely don’t want to take every last bit of fat off—not at all. As with any cut of meat, a little bit of fat adds to the flavor. (Hint: you can also ask the butcher to do this trimming for you if the process seems intimidating.)
Sprinkle meat generously with Lawry’s. You can much more liberally season a tenderloin, because you’re having to pack more of a punch in order for the seasoning to make an impact. Start with Lawry’s Seasoned Salt. Rub it in with your fingers. Sprinkle both sides generously with lemon & pepper seasoning. (There are no measurements because it depends on your taste, but be sure to season liberally.)
Place the peppercorns in a Ziploc bag, and with a mallet or a hammer or a large, heavy can, begin smashing the peppercorns to break them up a bit. Set aside.
Heat some olive oil in a heavy skillet. When the oil is to the smoking point, place the tenderloin in the very hot pan to sear it. Throw a couple of tablespoons of butter into the skillet to give it a nice little butter injection before going in the oven. A minute or two later, when one side is starting to turn nice and brown, flip and repeat.
Place the tenderloin on an oven pan with a rack. Sprinkle the pummeled peppercorns all over the meat. Press the pepper onto the surface of the meat. Put several tablespoons of butter all over the meat. Stick the long needle of the thermometer lengthwise into the meat. Place it in a 475-degree oven until the temperature reaches just under 140 degrees, about fifteen to twenty minutes. Stay near the oven and keep checking the meat thermometer to make sure it doesn’t overcook.
Let meat stand ten minutes or so before slicing, so the meat will have a chance to relax a bit.
To serve, you can spoon the olive oil/butter juices from the skillet onto the top of the meat for a little extra flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment