Friday, January 7, 2011

Broccoli Cheese Soup

I've been asked by a few family members for recipes that I have and make so I'm going to share the one I made tonight. It's a huge hit with my kids the love the "tree" soup and usually eat 2-3 bowls. It tastes even better in a bread bowl but this is the way I make it and I hope you all enjoy it. It's really super easy and very delicious.

First let me say that I had lots of veggies to mine but you can add as little or as much as you want. This is just a measurement for those who would like them.

2 large stocks of broccoli diced
2-3 tbsp of dried onions or 1/2 of a real onion
2 cups of water
3-5 potatoes cubed/diced
2-3 large carrots or if they are baby carrots then 2 handfuls
2 cups of half & half
2 tbsp of instant chicken bullion or 2 cubes
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp of parsley
2 cups of grated cheese. (I do cheddar and monterey Jack cheese when I have the monterey jack cheese other wise all cheddar is good too.)

Cook carrots, potatoes, chicken bullion, parsley, salt & pepper. Cook the potatoes and carrots til barley tender then add the broccoli don't drain the water from the potatoes, carrots, & broccoli.
In a separate sauce pan add the 2 cups of half and half and the cheese. Stirring constantly til the cheese is all melted and the sauce is smooth.
Add the cheese sauce to the potatoes, carrots and broccoli. Stir until the potato water and cheese sauce is combined. Then add 3 tbsp of cornstarch to thicken. Cook until broccoli is tender.

I add lots of broccoli and potatoes in mine I think it tastes better, and I like the carrots in it because it adds flavor, and color. Hope you like it!

1 comment:

  1. YUM! You have a lot of good recipes. I hope you can post some others soon. I'm going to make this tonight!

    ReplyDelete